Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Divine Feminine

I woke up today to emebark on an amazing inner journey that truly transformed me. SoulCollage. Google it.

I had the opportunity to spend 6 hours with 10 other women who came together to grow, change, transform, and learn about an amazing intuitive, creative process. This process consisted of using visual images from magazines, photos, etc. and create custom "cards" that became part of a tarot type reading. This experience allowed me to not only connect with other women but also connect with myself, the deepest, most creative part that never comes out.

I must say, I am hooked. One of my cards exhibits the divine feminine qualities that I strive to embrace. On the colorful card, there are all types of women-mothers, yogis, cartoons, statues and paintings...this card spoke to me the most, with its expressive quality of what womanhood is and what it is defined as. This got me thinking....what is it to be a woman?

Strong, sexy, sensual, vulnerable, wicked, manipulative, quirky, funny, empowered, transformative, emotional, physical, thinker, feeler, being, nurturing, athletic, meditative, religious, spiritual, unique, conforming....

That is nothing. For me, today being a woman was about community and transition. I feel as I embark on my eraly 20s, I face cultural norms that have been instilled and ingrained from long before my time and I see the new norms and cultural expectations popping up every day. Like the river that is constantly flowing, the ideas surrounding what it means to be a woman are constantly changing.

After my workshop, I drove down to the beach to watch the sunset and scurried aroud like a child finding rocks, sea glass, and shells in the sand. I was reverting back to my childhood and then it dawned on me. As a woman, I am fearful to succumb to pressures and the ideas of conformity. It seems to be too much these days to be in touch with the divine feminine where you can have open discussions about womanhood, motherhood, and relationships.

My mother is my best friend. She has been my mentor throughout my development into the woman I am today and I thank her for that. Mothers, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, friends, teachers, and colleagues...women who define themselves in so many ways. The bond exists between all of us...a divine, inner quality, energy, prana, spirit...that makes us woman.

No comments: