Thursday, February 7, 2008

Let the Juice flow...

I have recognized that knowledge is something we are all thirsting for. We want more of it, every day. The culture we live in is always about "more." How much do you have? How much do you want? Can I have it in a bigger size? I think I have more than you.

For the past 5.5 days, I have been fasting. This is the third fast I have done and I do them for a variety of reasons. Of course, the issue of overall health and well-being comes up. We put sooooo much into our bodies, the temples we look at in the mirror every morning as we stumble to the shower, towel in hand, eyes half open, too tired from the night before because we pumped the caffeine like water just to send the last e-mail or complete the finishing touches on that project.

Believe me, I have been there and I expect at some point to be there again :-) A fast just lets the body take a break, rest, hibernate, not work so hard to process all the processed foods and liquids we consume day in and day out. To cleanse ones skin is similar to cleansing the inner body, the organs. To cleanse the inner body, I like to to use juice and liquids to facilitate the process and flush the gross stuff out.

I brought my juicer to work today and shared this special time in my new year and believe me, people like it. It tastes yummy. I also like to share my knowledge about teh topic and pass along resources to others who share and show an interest. Yes, you get some funny looks, especially as you stumble into the office, juicer in hand, a bag of fresh produce, purse, briefcase, keys, cell phone, etc. Its a sight.

I also like the fast because it lets me slow down, focus on non-attachment and introspection. Its like a bear going into hibernation in the winter-I sleep more, feel rested, and talk less-mostly because I am tired and have less energy. I mention the aspect of non-attachment and the idea that less is more because that is how food has become structured in our culture. After a fast, I become more thankful, offering blessings before meals, and try to monofocus on eating rather than juggling tasks with a fork or spoon in my mouth. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my Ben & Jerry's but every now and then, I like to mix it up-give up red meat for awhile, supporting the local farmers market, cooking with a friend, and laughing over fair-trade coffee.

I empower others to explore the idea of fasting and restraint. Even for a couple days, give up refined sugar, caffeine, drugs, and tobacco and enrich your diet and consumption with whole grains, fruits and veggies, and yummy juice.

Go forth and be Juicy!

No comments: