Saturday, September 11, 2010

Go Army: A Brotherly Dedication


My brother Nate was visiting me in Seattle last weekend for the first time. I had not seen him since the Holidays and it was truly a great visit. He cooked some amazing chile, we went to a Mariners game, took the train to Vancouver, and did so much more.  I smiled a lot as I looked at him all grown up and mature. He is leaving for the Army in October and the focus of the visit was spending as much time together before he leaves.

We went downtown and went inside the Army Navy Surplus store on 1st Avenue. I bought myself a grey ARMY shirt for the gym and reflected for a few minutes on how his choice has affected me. He signed his papers in May and since then I have been doing a lot of reflection and personal work. I have struggled internally with his decision and am opening not only my mind, but my heart as well as he embarks on this new endeavor, a journey that will for sure change his life.


Up until this visit with him, I thought that as the older sibling, I should be the one teaching the lessons and being the role model. Well, I really got clear on the lessons that Nate has taught me about life, living, and love and here they are.



Lesson #1: Sweat Everyday. It's Good For You
Lesson #2: It's okay to be the only person dancing. As long as you are good.
Lesson #3: Impulsiveness can be your best friend and your worst enemy.
Lesson #4: Hold your friends close. They are the next best thing to family.
Lesson #5: You can be liberal & conservative at the same time.
Lesson #6: If something isn't fun, just add food.
Lesson #7: Competition is healthy. Teamwork is healthy. Laughing is healthy.
Lesson #8: Don't take yourself too seriously.

Lesson #9: Manners are important but they are not the only thing that makes a person.
Lesson #10: Be the best sibling you can be. Oh yeah, be the best you can be at everything you do.

Nate is an amazing young man. He makes me laugh until I pee my pants. His humor and amazing thirst for life is something I hope he never loses. I love him and will miss him.

Go Army.

3 comments:

Charlie said...

Bitter sweet : ) :(

Rosaria said...

What a beautiful tribute to your brother. I am so proud of both of you. Always remember that we can learn from anyone, no matter how old or how young.

Aaron said...

I am glad you had a good visit with your brother. I also really like number 6, that brings back all those nights with your mom making us food really late.