Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cleanse Report: Introspection, Learning Lessons, and Menu Highlights

Here I sit listening to Pandora post dinner composed of Sauteed Kale w/Garlic & Roasted Carrots and Yams. The dog is lying down, a vanilla candle is lit, and I am feeling so at peace. I am reflecting on the past couple weeks. I did it. I made it through two weeks. Wow. Just to recap, for 21 days, I am refraining from "The Big 5," including Sugar, Alcohol, Animal Products, Caffeine, and Gluten. Call it vegan, call it crazy, call it whatever you want. One thing I know for sure is that this has been one of the most powerful experiences I have had in a long time.

A few things about my personal cleanse routine...
*I have been sleeping in a lot. For my body, mind, and soul, I know that sleep is so incredibly important for me to function at my highest level. I am averaging 9-11 hours a night. The Man continues to affirm that I am the heaviest sleeper he has ever known. :)



*I have signed up at the local Vinyasa Yoga Studio and have been taking classes. This type of yoga is the yoga that saved my life way back in the day and this coming Monday, November 15th, marks the three year anniversary of my Yoga Teacher, Miya Musts' suicide. Miya, may you rest in peace.




*FEED THE CLEANSE! There are lots of ways to cleanse and detox. What I do know is that you feel way better when you feed yourself versus starving your body and mind. All it takes is a gentle shift and some upfront planning to get into this new way of eating and living.

*Notice the cravings and don't get mad at yourself. I have been doing tons of personal introspection into my relationship with food in terms of my personal emotions that surround certain experiences. I tend to live in "extremes." Extreme pleasure/happiness/good stuff or anger/anxiety/stress. When I am living in one of the extremes, I crave the burgers/pizza/carbs/sugar, etc.


Nugget of Cleansing Wisdom: Lots and lots of water. The biggest thing with a detox is drinking TONS of purified water. This helps flush you and takes care of your kidneys and liver getting rid of some of the junk. I also had lots of caffeine free herbal tea which seems to relax the nerves, especially from the sugar withdraw.


There is no one way to cleanse. Each human being has a different body, a different brain, and different chemical composition. I am drawing on my previous cleansing experiences as well as some new resources for my cleanse including:
-Kathy Freston "Quantum Wellness Cleanse"
-Adina Niemerow "Super Cleanse"

A couple things about the menu:
Below is a very small sampling of what I have been eating. I try to experiement with something new everyday. I think the biggest change for me in this cleanse has been having the confidence to try out new techniques and new foods and not being afraid to use my kitchen to its fullest potential.

When we as human beings participate in the cooking experience, especially from scratch, that positive energy is absorbed into our bodies and hearts. (At least thats what I think.) When we share a meal and we are eating whole foods without the contamination of processed junk, without arguments, without TV, we nourish our cells, our brain, and our heart.

I look forward to going full force into the last week with new menu items and exploring other cooking techniques. :)



Jen's Cleanse Menu Highlights 

Juicing & The Infamous Green Drink: I am a juicing queen! I pull out the Acme Juicerator and made green drink to last me through breakfast & lunch. Green Drink Ingredients: Carrots, Kale, Romaine, Cucumber, Apple, Dandelion Greens, Broccoli. Yep, definitely looked like something out of a stagnant pond and the comments at work about me drinking mud made me smile.

So the way my juicer works is that fiber is extracted in a basket from whatever is being juiced so the juice that comes out of the veggies & fruit has super packed nutrients. So, I juice one day and then make smoothies from the fiber adding in some natural juice, water, ice cubes, etc. The smoothies are a little more crunchy in terms of the ingredients. You can literally taste chopped up veggies. The good thing is that they keep you full and satisfied. I like them :)

Salads:
Raw Salad (Romaine, Cuke, Tomato)
Israeli Chopped Salad (Cucumber, Tomato, Kalamata Olives, Salt & Pepper)
Apples, Nuts, Nut Butter
Fruit Salad

Lunch/Dinner Ideas:
Long Grain Wild Rice, Quinoa, Brown Rice
Steamed Veggies: Broccoli, Kale, Green Beans, Yams, Carrots, and more!
Soups: Mexican Lentil Stew, Tomato Soup
Black Beans, Avocados, Corn, Salsa
Herb & Tomato Risotto

To Have on Hand:
Herbal Teas (Caffeine Free)
Lemons (For water, vinagarette, hot lemon water, etc.)
Sprouted Bread (Can contain a small amount of Gluten)
Larabars
Gluten Free Rice Chips & Crackers (For Munching)
Hummus
Frozen Berries & Almond Milk (Yummy Smoothie)
Easily Accessible Nts, Fruits and Chopped Veggies


Eating Out During the Cleanse:
Veggie Pho Soup
Vegetarian/Vegan Thai Cuisine @ Araya's Restaurant in UDistrict
Root Table in Ballard (Asian Fusion Cuisine)
Garlic Jim's Gluten Free Spinach & Artichoke Pizza

I hope to get another post about my newfound relationship with food up here in the next couple days. :)

Cheers!

1 comment:

Rosaria said...

How much I have learned just from listening to and reading your blog. It will be time for me to cleanse soon.