Saturday, December 11, 2010

on Sparkle

Yikes! I just realized that this is my first December post and it is going to be short and sweet...very opposite how the month of December feels at this very moment :)

So, today as I was unloading my very full car (firewood, borrowed mixer, tree stand, bags, more wood, etc.) the word Sparkle hit me like a ton of bricks. That is my word for the rest of 2010 into the Holidays and for 2011. My theme for my life is sparkle. Yep. That's right, sparkle it is and sparkle it shall be.

I am sure you are all rushing around, getting into the holiday spirit and wondering how next year should be less stressful. While you are trying to entertain, trying to get everything packed in before the year end, trying to hit the sales and save money, trying to keep your sanity, think about sparkle.

Pain Memories Blue Sparkle
Take a minute to pause in all of the commotion. Enjoy the smiles those little kids have when they walk out of seeing Santa. Wake up next to your loved one on a weekend morning and make them muffins for them before they wake up. Enjoy the beauty appears all around us this time of year. Hang your favorite ornaments. Make a phone call to a family member on the opposite side of the country. Make cookies. Stay in your pajamas. Use your fireplace. Hug more. Enjoy hot drinks. Don't beat yourself up over eating chocolate. Wear sweaters. Keep exercising. Sleep for more than 8 hours since it is hibernation time. Don't get too drunk. Don't get mad. Don't live from a to-do list. Watch movies. Buy egg nog. Wear wool socks. Be lazy on the weekend for 1 hour. Get outside with the dog. Write and meditate daily. Decorate when you feel the urge. Listen to the Christmas radio station. Say yes. Say no. Make time for you.

I am loving this holiday season so much more than last year. I think about how a year ago, I was in a completely different space, both physically, mentally, and emotionally and I have been reflecting on how thankful and grateful I am that I was so incredibly supported by my loved ones including friends and family. My hope is that I will bring grace and joy to those around me this holiday season and know that I get to choose how I create my holiday moments and my sparkle moments.

Here's to sparkle.

2 comments:

Melina said...

Yes...I love SPARKLE! I will try, and I certainly can wear wool socks...and go outside with the dog, in fact I can do both at once ;)

Rosaria said...

I think I will try to Sparkle! I like the word.
I am going to start looking for the sparkle.
Have a beautiful, sparkly holiday season.