Tuesday, January 18, 2011

on winter vacations & shifting


I am here in Maine, visiting my folks in the very frigid month of January. When Charlie and I first arrived and stepped out of the Boston/Logan airport doors, I looked at him with dead set eyes, and said, "What the hell were we thinking to take vacation in January in Maine of all places?" He smiled, pulled me close and said, "Because you have not seen your family in over a year."

The Man and I went snowshoeing today and something internally shifted for me-I recognized what was important again. The inner peacefulness and the outer silence moved something so close to my soul that I can't really put my finger on it. I floated on top of the snow, down the trail, poles in hand, flakes hitting my face in just the right spots. Charlie walked in front of me floating as well with a relaxed confidence surrounding his shoulders and back.
Vacation are a funny thing, especially when your vacation revolves around visiting family across the country. There is some stress attached and the visiting can fly by as you are hitting all your favorite spots and seeing all your favorite peeps. This time though, it feels way different. This is a vacation I am relishing in. Sleeping in, eating bagels with lox for breakfast, getting a mani/pedi with my mom, wearing comfy clothes, taking each day at a time and letting go of all expectations.

When we surrender to what's so, we open ourselves up to infinite possibilities. We let in the peace, the joy, the bliss that is accessible all the time, but just ignored.

For the past month or so, I have been on complete "doing" mode: Pack boxes, move boxes, clean apartments, unpack boxes. Eat on the run, rush to the next appointment, obligations, commitments, dinners, meetings, blah, blah, blah. Now, on this vcation, about 3 days in, I have shifted into the space of "being." Huh. I am thinking more and more on why it has to be either/or mentality, the black/white, all/nothing thinking. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY AT ALL!

So here I am sitting here in my parents living room at the old PC, the snow is falling outside and I have plenty of options of what activities I want to do next. Maybe cup of hot cocoa, yoga magazine, and wool socks? Or cuddling and watching a movie, or helping mom with dinner?

Here is to shifting and being during vacations & winter.

No comments: