Thursday, January 27, 2011

unpacking, routine, and Rosebud

My trip to Maine was absolutely divine. When people at work ask me how my vacation was, I enthusiastically respond, "Fabulous!" It was all it could be and more. Highlights included: snow falling on my face, snowshoeing in the woods with The Man, having a go again at cross country skiing, cozy nights by the fire, game night with the parents, a manicure/pedicure with mom at the local day spa, laughing until my stomach hurt, happy hour with neighbors, seafood, and walking on the beach in the dead of winter.

After landing back in Seattle safely on Sunday evening, Monday morning felt completely new for me. I awoke at around 7:30am, took the dog for a walk, came home, enjoyed a delicious healthy breakfast complete with a pint of green drink, got ready for work effortlessly and just enjoyed my day. This has been the theme for the week and I am really warming up nicely to the routine. The morning walks with the dog and The Man are enjoyable family time and it allows me to connect with the outside world before I head inside for a long day.

The funny thing about routine is we need to be aware of when we are too stuck in our ways to welcome anything else into our lives that would possibly make a difference. By inviting what feels good and what nourishes us from the inside out, we are enlivened and can go on to live our life powerfully and with purpose day in and day out.

So, we came home and the piles of boxes from the move stared at us with contempt. Slowly but surely we are working on really moving in. I think of it like those little finger games where you move little tiles to get them in numerical order but there is only one space open and it takes moves and removes and removes to get them in order. That is exactly what our house feels like. Last night, I came home early from work and unpacked 8 boxes which included my books. I cleaned off my desk, setup my laptop and workstation so I can write more and keep things in order again via e-mail, finances, etc. Its amazing how you only need to create one "landing pad" in order to feel grounded in the midst of chaos. I gave myself 2.5 hours of unpacking time, being careful not to drain myself physically and then we went to dinner for date night.

Rosebud. Rosebud Restaurant in Cap. Hill was amazing. A simple dinner, drinks, and a chocolate molten cake to die for. We left and were perfectly content. Came home, got in our sweats, and went to bed. Yum.

The whole lesson here for me is that I must not drown in all there is to do. There will always be work and tasks that need completed but finding mini-rewards in all of it and being grounded in a routine that fuels your own vitality is what makes the work worth doing. I still am surrounded by mountains of boxes and 3 years ago, it would have driven me nuts but now, I can smile and let it be.

Also, I am reading an amazing book right now: "The Art of Possibility" by Zander, and you should pick it up. It will move you to a new level.

No comments: