Sunday, March 27, 2011

21 Days: The Monkey Mind Meditation Challenge

Monkey Mind Meditation Challenge

I am a huge fan of the beautiful, sexy, smart, sassy, Kris Carr. She was diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago, reformed her whole lifestyle around holistic care, a vegan diet, and a revamp of her spiritual self. Her most recent book, Crazy Sexy Diet was on the NY Times Bestseller list and it sits on my desk and I paw through it daily. She is a goddess. Go visit her site right now http://crazysexylife.com/ You will be transformed.

In January, she hosted a 21 Day Cleanse. February was a shake your booty challenge, a focus on exercise and getting your but in gear. April is about cleansing the mind with a 21 day meditation challenge. Simply put: Find time everyday over the next 21 days to meditate. One of my goals this spring is to start a meditation practice and what better way to start. I like these challenges. They motivate me, give me a goal, structure, and deadlines. And when you think about it, its only 21 days, 3 weeks. Just long enough to establish a habit. :)

A wise mentor of mine always told me that before you step foot into any new adventure, problem, challenge, project, etc., it is important to establish an intention. My Intention for this challenge: To develop a consistent and sustainable meditation practice that I can stick to for the rest of my life.

Yes, it seems lofty, big, too complicated, to boxed in but its not. I have meditated in the past, I know its good for my brain, for my soul, for my work, for my mental health, for my sleep, for my relationships. Like vegetables, you can't have too much.

Today was Day 1. I sat on my cushion after my yoga practice for 12 minutes. 12 minutes is nothing in the world I live in. On a daily basis, 12 minutes flies by, especially when working with kids. 12 minutes is about the time it takes me to shower. 12 minutes is about the time it takes me to commute to work. 12 minutes on my meditation cushion seems like a lifetime. 

Observations: It felt so good to sit in silence, just me, by myself, with my breath, with my crazy brain and the thoughts its married to. My thoughts are simply a ticker tape, just going by, one at a time, no attachment to the thoughts about smoothies, cleaning the house, packing my lunch, my dirty feet, the pizza in the oven, blah, blah, blah. The Self Discovery realization: I am coming into my own. This spring is about blooming, being strong, establishing roots and being grounded. Huh. I got that in 12 minutes? 

Stay tuned for more meditation reports. 

One more thing: come join me. 


No comments: