Friday, March 11, 2011

daffodils: why they have to do with everything


I came home last night after having a wonderful sit down chat with a friend at a local Mexican restaurant where we nibbled endlessly on chips and salsa and sipped diet coke. We laughed at our current life happenings, shared endlessly about life, love, work, the everyday. We reminisced about the company we both used to work for and commented about how time goes by so fast. Female spirit and energy-the recipe for joy. It was so good to be in that flow of conversation, to trust and lean in and really listen. 

Last night I came home and after some quick talk with The Man, he said, "I have good news and I have bad news." I proceeded to say, "Well, give me the bad news." "Well, the daffodils we planted haven't started coming up yet and they should be." "And the good news?" I asked. "Well the tulips we planted are coming up."Without hesitation, I simply said, "When they're ready, they will come up," and walked into the bedroom to change and then sat down to join him on the couch for a movie. 

Now, it's the morning after and I am sitting here with my hot cup of Irish Breakfast tea. I just returned from my morning woods walk with Ginger where a light rain pelted us as we raced up the dirt hill along the creek, water flowing and rushing exclaiming, "Spring is almost here!" I stopped mid-track and observed little green buds on these delicate branches completely open and waiting, inviting the sun and the warmth to push them along to full blossom. Just waiting in the moment-not forced, not anxious, just waiting for that perfect moment. 

Hmmm.....

I think back to where I was a year ago. The Man and I had just started dating and things were incredibly new and fresh. Love was totally encompassing. I knew that after I had experienced such a traumatic crisis, I was putting myself back together, piece by piece physically, mentally, and emotionally. I remember thinking to myself that I would not date or be in a relationship for at least a year until I got my shit back in check. Well, sometimes as most of us know, our ideal plans shift and change and morph and move. I ended up falling in love with my best friend and I was ready. I was ready to grow and bloom and be on a team again with someone who had my back. I was like a daffodil, waiting until the exact perfect moment to be in the world again. So with that said, the daffodils will sprout and bloom...when they are ready.


No comments: