Sunday, April 24, 2011

small pleasures

It is Easter Sunday and I just returned from a drizzly, somewhat chilly doggie jaunt down at the beach with The Man's mum. On my way home, I stopped at Larsen's Bakery on 80th, a quaint little local bakery complete with warm bread, cookies, and cinnamon rolls. I picked up some yummy treats for The Man and I to chomp on before we attack some house projects. I got a coffee as well and sipped the warm goodness as I walked back to my car in my goretex jacket and thought to myself, "This is what life is all about."

Friday, on my day off, I picked up a book at the Ballard Library called "Small Pleasures: Finding Grace in a Chaotic World." Even, I have not started reading it yet, I have been thinking about really enjoying and savoring small pleasures. It has been proven that stuff like cars, vacations, diamonds, and lottery winnings give us temporary but fleeting satisfaction & pleasure. It is the small stuff that sustains our happiness over time. So, with all of that, I want to give you a glimpse into the small pleasures that I have been enjoying these past couple weeks. These range from food to Seattle sights to treasures I have come across as well as simple moments that I try to infuse into my day.

quality chocolate: Theo's, Dilettante, Seattle Chocolate's
strolling the Ballard Farmer's Market
dog walks (morning, noon, and night)
cutting fresh tulips for a hostess gift
reading for pleasure
sipping hot drinks anytime of day
finding lots of treasures at the Library including world music cd's
cuddling under the comforter while talking to a friend on the phone
happy hours that include neopolitan pizza and red wine
Discovery Park, Golden Gardens, and Green Lake
clean dishes
moments of love
the "high" feeling after working out and busting a sweat
journaling, sketching, writing
examining flowers that are blooming in your backyard
dyeing easter eggs & hunting for them
beautiful brunches
browsing goodwill and finding the best pair of comfy sweats ever
telling people you love them

Bliss-assignment this week: take 10 minutes and your journal or scrap piece of paper and write down all the small pleasures you enjoy. post this somewhere will you see it (i.e. fridge, planner, mirror) and start realizing the small stuff and how it brings a smile to your face and lights up your heart. 


No comments: