Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wishcasting Wednesday: What Do You Wish To Tend?

Ahhh...it's spring break here in Seattle which means kids are out of school and my spring break camp is in full swing. These weeks off school mean daily field trips, snack making, bathroom breaks, bus driving, arts & crafts, gym games, and losing my voice from constant redirecting. Spring break camp marks the last week long camp in the school year before summer camp begins in June. These school breaks are a lot of work, a lot of caregiving, and a whole lot of fun with tiny humans.

What this also means is that a lot of personal things take a back seat simply because of time and energy. These camp weeks require me to be working directly with kids pretty much every day. I come home tired, sometimes a little cranky, and mostly craving some serious couch time. :)

 Meditation, yoga, dog walks, writing, working out, and time with The Man take a back seat, simply because I use my free time to rest up and get ready for another fun filled day.

Just like any vacation or break, it must/will come to an end. For me, that means back to tending to my self-care practices: daily yoga & meditation, kickboxing classes, morning walks with the dog, journaling at night, and my writing & creativity. 

It's funny how you come to a point in life when you start taking really good care of your self and then notice immediately when you are not incorporating the things that nourish you into your life for a variety of reasons. It's a unique awareness that is so priceless. It becomes and exercise in mindfulness. It's quite nice actually.

8 comments:

snowflakes6 said...

I'm a teacher, so I know the feeling of working with kids. I love it ,but it can be exhausting. I wish you the best as you get back to your self care exercises.

Ginny said...

I think it is wonderful that self care has become such a part of your life that you miss it when you can not incorporate it into your day. As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well.

BunnyKissd said...

It's Spring Break here too, and I am already anxious to get back to the regular routine! (I'm a substitute teacher.) As you wish, so too do I...

artistaprilcole@gmail.com said...

How wonderful, Spring break!!
Great wishes too.
As you wish for yourself, I wish for you as well :]
Enjoy yourself.

Sara Rae said...

The better you care of yourself, the more you can care for others. As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also.

Karen D said...

It's always a great reminder that to care for ourselves only helps those we care for. As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Enjoy!
As Jen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Dionne the Tea Priestess said...

As you wish for yourself so I wish for you as well! Hope you enjoy yourself!