Saturday, May 7, 2011

magical mom

It's Mother's Day weekend and I am finally getting back in the groove of life again. Last weekend, I attended my cousin's wedding in Erie, PA and it was absolutely beautiful. I got to see my extended family, spend time with my cousin's, my cousin's children, aunts, uncles, and family friends. I recognized last weekend how important family is. It remains a huge value of mine. I cherish the moments I can spend with them. I mailed out my Mother's Day Cards last week after I got back, and as I was writing them out, I was overwhelmed with this energy. Call it gratefulness, bliss, joy, whatever, but it was powerful. Throughout this past week, I started to reflect on mom's, motherhood, love, and joy. I wanted to write a piece that reflected the infinite love I have for my mother. Of course, no blog post could justify the love I have, but the memories and moments I continue to share with her are sometimes the only thing that keeps me afloat living 3,000 miles away. 

A Love Letter to Mom:
My mom is my best friend. She is my mentor, my guidance counselor, guardian angel, teacher, knower of all. When my mom hugs me, I get lost in her comfort. I remember her cooking homemade spaghetti sauce on Sunday mornings when I lived at home and the garlic infused olive oil would waft upstairs, waking me up. I remember her driving my brother and I to all of our sports practices, even in horrible weather. She and my dad were at every basketball/football/baseball game. She would always know the right thing to say, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. She guided me through heartbreak, success, disappointment, and day to day trials and tribulations. I remember taking yoga with her and glancing at her during savasana and seeing what a peaceful, strong woman she was. I love going home and seeing her buzz about the kitchen, completely immersed in her zone, her flow. I love drinking coffee with her on our porch and sipping wine late into the evenings, talking about being a woman. She encouraged me to follow my bliss, even if that meant moving to Colorado and then to Seattle. I enjoy our weekend chats via phone or Skype. I love calling her to ask about cooking questions or baking techniques or to get that recipe. I love that she yells sometimes and gets caught up in craziness. I love her ability to provide hospitality to everyone who walks through her front door. 
I love how she loves my dad, my brother, and I.
She is the strongest woman I know. 

Mothers are the base, the foundation, the "rock" of our world. Everybody has a mother. Mother's are beautiful people. They are strong. They know when to be tough and when to be loving. They protect, nourish, and support yet they can fight to the death to protect their own. 

Take a moment and send love to your mother. She deserves it. 

1 comment:

Rosaria said...

WOW! Thank you for that tribute Jen.