Monday, May 30, 2011

May In Review

I can't believe the month of May is wrapping up. Memorial Day weekend is here and I just realized how packed life has been. So here is what has been happening...


...catching up on being in love. The Man and I are in a really good place right now. Things are working, he is settling into his new job, our schedules are in sync. We are eating meals together and spending time in the yard. I always have heard that going to bed together can make a difference in a relationship and I am starting to believe this.




...birthday celebration. About a week ago, I celebrated my 27th birthday. It was AMAZING. The Man designed a raised garden bed for me and we are building it this weekend. It is complete with veggies, herbs, and flowers. Yep. The thing I have been talking about for years is happening! I also had a dinner cooked for me at Charlie's mums house-pork tenderloin, Italian green beans, and scalloped potatoes and then to top it all off, a Coldstone Creamery Ice Cream Cake (Red Velvet Cake with Cake Batter Ice Cream) I also had a breakfast date at a garden cafe and dinner at Ponti Seafood Grill on my actual birthday. This woman is not complaining!

...treating myself. I went and took some birthday money and invested in some new makeup. Yes, makeup. For those of you who know me personally, this is a big leap for me. The story behind it is that while I was at my cousins wedding, I had my makeup done and it felt amazing. The makeup the salon used was Bare Minerals and I fell in love with it because it was natural and did not feel like makeup. I looked great and felt amazingly confident. So I strolled into Sephora the other night, worked with a consultant and got myself setup to look pretty. :)




...happiness. I am currently reading Gretchen Rubin's "The Happiness Project," and I love it. It is so well written and gives some very clear, easy to understand tips and tricks to incorporate more happiness into your daily life. It's funny and full of good stuff. Gretchen Rubin can be found here at http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/




...connection. One of my favorite things about spring and summer is how people come out of their dwellings and spend more time walking, chatting, laughing, and gathering. Farmer's Markets are in full swing, dogs are happy as they stroll around the lake, and neighbors are out and mingling with each other. I love this. I even have met two new neighbors in the past couple days. Relationships are integral to our health and our happiness, yet we don't make them a priority.

...traveling. I am headed to Colorado this week to see my best friend get married. Even though it is somewhat of a big trip, I have been taking smaller trips like to a nursery to purchase plants that is up north, about 30 minutes from our house. It is so good to just get away sometimes.

...getting physical. I have been in physical therapy for my left knee for about 3 weeks now. I have also been doing hot yoga through a Living Social coupon and taking cycling classes at work during my lunch break. Being physical is part of my self-care plan. My body and brain starts to go crazy if I don't move for a couple days.

...listening to what feels good. I have been way more conscious about not forcing myself to do things if I don't feel like it. For instance, working on the blog, cleaning the bathroom, or filing papers. I have been using the 15 minute rule-try doing something for 15 minutes, then stopping if I don't want to continue but giving myself permission to continue if it feels nourishing.

No comments: