Thursday, September 1, 2011

August Break and the Summer Recap

It's September 1st and I am back in the blogosphere. For the month of August, I took not only a blogging vacation but I also took a one month social media fast. It was absolutely enlightening to spend one entire month away from Facebook. Lot's of juicy learning lessons I will be sure to share in the next few posts.


My August break was pretty fantastic. The weather got better here in the Pacific Northwest and Seattle saw some much needed sunshine. My garden is in crazy full bloom-zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, and herbs galore are sprouting every which way. 
Zucchini Galore...
On the contrary of taking a "blog & Facebook break," August was a busy month as well. My parents came and visited for a week and it was fabulous to spend lots of time with them. We enjoyed lazy afternoons, a great day down at Mt. Rainier, eating crab outside, and roasting marshmallows in a cute new fire pit. My mom helped me in the garden, my dad enjoyed some time away from work, and they got to take the ferry up to Victoria, B.C., and stay overnight in a 5-star hotel. Yay for them :)

Mt.Rainier visit while the folks were in town.
The Man's sister also got married last weekend which marked a huge celebration. There were showers, a very fun bachelorette party on Bainbridge Island, fun prep, and a great day for a beautiful wedding in Ballard. The festivities were so enjoyable and I am so blessed to be part of such a wonderful family.
The most beautiful wedding cake in the world from  The Man's sister's wedding.
August was also a time to take care of myself. I started getting back to the gym again, got some massages, and took some time off which was super nice and restful. All of this combined with reading great books at night, getting at least 8 hours of sleep, eating delicious & fresh summer produce, and getting some sunshine luv made for an amazing last month of summer.

The summer has been a roller-coaster. It has been full of happiness, tears, laughter, creativity, grilling, lemonade, date nights, walking, a great chaco tan, 3 weddings, 1 funeral, trips to Colorado & Maine, sunsets, hiking, journaling, reading, digging in the dirt, taking breaks, resting, family, friends, brainstorming, learning, children, pizza, yoga, and soooooo much more. This summer proved to be busy yet at the same time, restful and enjoyable. With the end of summer comes a bit of sadness. I think there is the tendency to look back and think, "I wish we could have done more," or "I had all these plans and expectations." What is important to think about which has been a huge learning lesson for me is that although summer is that time of year when we try to pack in as much fun as possible, we have to remember that we still have life and all its "lifeness," including bills to pay, jobs to go to, housecleaning, laundry, and day to day domesticity. 
my new serving bowls...compliments of Goodwill
I think another important lesson we can take from summer is that we can always make room for more fun, no matter what season we're in. So what's next? Well, back to writing, more reading, working in the garden, and planning more fun and rest into daily life, even though summer is almost behind us. 

Happy September and it's good to be back! 

No comments: