Saturday, September 17, 2011

Transition is Yummy

Fall is here. I wish I could have bottled up the last few days of hot weather and was granted the magical permission to take out the bottles on the grey and cold days and let them loose to lift my spirits. But, no luck. Fall is here. It is cool, crisp, grey, cloudy, and I feel it in my body, my bones, and my blood, right down to the core of my soul. It was a fast transition for me. The transition from being outside all summer for work and then heading right into fall programs with school age youth happened so fast that I was nearly knocked off my feet.

Transition and change are the typical themes of fall and they can be a bit funny. They are funny in the sense that we crave change yet we sometimes don't handle it super well. I know for me personally, this week was a BIG adjustment from the track I was on. My hours were different; I was going into work later, I was getting home later, eating later, going to bed later, and overall feeling pretty wacky. I also started Crossfit last week and it is amazing. It is intense and it works me so my body was also adjusting to all the new movement & training.

So here I am, sitting in my writing nook on a bit of a gloomy Saturday, in a state of complete peace. Fall reminds me to take it slow, go inward, notice, observe, and savor.

There are so many things I absolutely love about fall...
...feelings of fleece and cuddly clothing
...cooking hearty meals
...movies on the couch 
...lounging in the fluff of a down comforter with a book and cup of tea
...new school & office supplies
...walks under changing leaves
...baking/eating/drinking
...day trips with loved ones
...fires
...nights with friends
...fall vegetables
...wool socks

Another thing I love about fall is the natural tendency to just slow down. To take the moments as they come and to enjoy the time with family and friends. Fall also reminds me to take care of myself a little better, both physically, mentally, and emotionally and also to remember that life is good. It is always good. We just have to bring back the little things and savor each and every one of them...perhaps with a glass of wine. :)

My friend/colleague Jamie gave me a wonderful recipe for a Zucchini Pie. It is delicious and warms the soul from the inside out. It's also a great way to use up any summer zucchini, and if your garden got out of control like mine did, I am sure you have some left. Enjoy!


Zucchini Pie

3 cups grated zucchini
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup flour
1 cup grated provolone cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tsp fresh basil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

preheat oven to 350.  Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, reserving 1 tsp of the Parmesan.   Spoon the zucchini mixture into a 10 inch pie pan, sprayed with oil.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.  Sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan.  Cool 10-15 minutes before slicing.  Enjoy!

I added a premade, frozen pie crust, too, even though it doesn't call for it. I cooked it for about an hour. So good! :)

No comments: