Monday, February 6, 2012

hello snow moon!

The full moon is out. I have been enjoying the first days of February since there has been lots of sun and warm weather-warm enough to wear capri leggings under a skirt and not wear any socks with the Danskos. Oh yeah, it has been sunny enough on my commute to dust off the sunglasses and wear them. Needless to say, it has been a fabulous February so far.

February is one of those months that simply flies by. Because it's the short month, things creep up and then BAM! There you are, 3 weeks in and you realize that you have all this stuff to do. The school age kids go on yet another vacation, meaning lots of in ratio childcare time for me, and then there is Valentine's day, a leap year, and the big drive at the Y to raise a ton of money in our annual giving campaign. YIKES! It's a lot to juggle and on top of that, many folks feel the "February Blahs."

According to the Farmer's Almanac, since the heaviest snow usually falls during this month, native tribes of the north and east most often called February’s full Moon the Full Snow Moon. Some tribes also referred to this Moon as the Full Hunger Moon, since harsh weather conditions in their areas made hunting very difficult. I thought about reflecting on this moon, as it related to my February goals. "Full Hunger." I have used this prompt in the past in terms of what I am most hungry for, in life that is.

This month, I have some key goals and projects I am working on:
-Writing. Continue to write regularly. At least 12 posts by the end of the month.
-Meditation. Continuing my daily 10 minute meditation practice.
-Movement. Getting back to regular gym dates and crossfit workouts.
-Savoring rest. Enjoying downtime. Unplugging. Getting outside. 

On top of those 3 goals, I have designed some intentions for the month of February as well:
-Being intentional and in alignment with where my time goes. I am currently reading a fabulous book 168 hours by Laura Vanderkam. I will be reviewing this book in my next post with all sorts of nuggets of wisdom. The overarching lesson from this book is that we are not victims of time. We always have a choice. This freedom has opened up some incredible insights for me personally.

-The month of love. February being the pink/red/roses/chocolate holiday gives us the inkling to show our love more. I am taking on the challenge of just being loving in my interactions with not only others, but myself as well. Asking the questions, "Am I being the most loving?" is a theme I am using in my meditation practice this month. Also, just carving out time to be with loved ones is so important.

-Responding vs. reacting. This is also something I am working with in my meditation practice. How to play more of the observer role and less of the fish biting the hook. Being conscious of how my emotions play into my daily life, my relationships, my work, and my spiritual self, allows me to fully engage with the present. It's a constant work in progress. :)




1 comment:

Troy L.Cristobal said...

I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thx!
!#: Sorel Women's Helen Of Tundra Boot... The Cheapest