Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Love Story: The Man & Me

This post is late. I never got to it. But the more I thought about it, I decided to go back and write this post because I think it's a beautiful way to tell a story. This past week has been the traditional rollercoaster of life; up and down. Valentine's Day passed and life is still life. Love has it's challenges. In my own relationship, there has been lots of moments this past month that have required tenderness, trust, honesty, and just plain ol' hugs. The reflection piece is key, especially when times are trying and tough.



I saw this little blog challenge on the blog written by my brother's girlfriend. It's just what the doctor ordered in terms of reflecting on the foundation, the beginning.

1. How long have you and your significant other been together?
The Man and I have been together for almost 2 years officially dating but we have known each other going on 5 years this June. 

2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}
When I was in my last semester of college, I secured an internship with a company in Seattle specializing in Corporate Recreation. After a very successful phone interview, they took a chance on a spunky little dirtbag excited about life in the big city. I showed up at the office on June 15th, 2007 and met Charlie, the Office Manager. Official title: Director of Organized Chaos. I also met his dog Ginger. I was extremely nervous, he had no idea I was showing up, but he immediately took me under his wing. He helped me with everything; learning the city, telling me where not to live, offering company when I didn;t know a soul. He also became my mentor at the company and coached me in my first job out of college. There were many late nights at the office and tears, laughter, and just a lot of fun. We became best friends over time and did a ton together; yoga, dog parks, eating at cool locations, hiking, you name it. He fell in love with me and I was already taken. I broke his heart. We had a falling out. I was devastated. And then shit hit the fan in my own life and he was there, like always, being supportive, loving, and amazing. He helped me move on from a painful event. Then, the universe had it's own plans and the cosmos aligned and we chose each other. Very Jerry Springer. Just kidding. :)

3. If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? {do tell} Marriage is a funny thing because I think a lot of people think it solves all the problems or makes things better. I have no doubt in my mind that I will spend the rest of my life with The Man, and whatever happens, marriage or not, just knowing I am spending quality time with the man who makes me a better woman is all I can ask for. 

4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding?  If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small? 
Charlie and I like to think that we will get married on an island, outdoors, free spirited. He nurtures the hippie in me. :)

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!
I enjoy all the nicknames Charlie has for me: Monkey, Monks, Shrimp, Woodland Elf.

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
3 Things! Yikes! Well, his unconditional support, his sense of humor, his willingness to try new things.

7. Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?
No ideal proposal, just authentic. :)

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberrieschampagne, and rose petals?
More like a mutually agreed upon movie on the couch and a good pizza. :)

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
See above but I am the girl that won't complain about a little excess. You gotta keep it fresh for each other and not get too comfortable.

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?
I would like us to travel to Thailand, go snorkeling, visit Italy & Paris, and spend a year living in a yurt, farming, and doing yoga near the beach.

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day.
It was a rough day for the both of us this year, so we just took it easy. 

12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?
Just time together.

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
Be honest with each other, even if the roughest of times. 

14.  Show us a picture of what love means to you.