Saturday, February 11, 2012

media i'm in love with

I thought I would take a few minutes to review some media that I have been loving on for the past couple weeks. I am thinking this will become a regular post since I am always reading, watching good movies, and listening to fabtastic music.
On My Bookshelf...
"Hand Wash Cold: Care Instructions for an Ordinary Life," by Karen Maezen Miller
This is one of the most profound spiritual teaching books I have read in a long time. Within the 171 pages lies lots of great nuggets of spiritual teachings that are simple and can be related to, no matter who you are. Karen Maezen Miller uses the background of housework as she talks about life as a zen practitioner. There will always be the laundry, the dishes, the gardening. Each of these components of household life contain so many profound teachings and wisdom, that each page is rich and full.

Two of my favorite passages:
"At the end of the day, my counters cleared and dishes stacked, the big payoff appears. My sink gleams, empty, like a deep ocean pearl, and I am content. Look for more and be dissatisfied. Look elsewhere and be confused. The ingredients are always on hand, and it's impossible to run out. Having nothing to show is simply having enough."


"The view that there is higher ground apart from the place we occupy is based entirely on ignorance. It perpetuates fear and, worse, enlarges it. There is only one place. The one you're in. You can never leave, but you can turn it inside out. Do you want to live in friendship or fear? Paradise or paranoia? We are each citizens of the place we make, so make it a better place."


"168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think," by Laura Vanderkam
This is not your traditional, tired and true time management book. I have been reading this book for the past week and I can honestly say that my relationship with time is slowly stating to transform. Laura Vanderkam takes us inside the idea that we can live in the 168 hours model; 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week. When we break that down and essentially start filling in our time into blocks within the week, we have a lot more time than we think. Check out the 168 hours site here: http://lauravanderkam.com/books/168-hours/




In My Ears...



Alexi Murdoch, "Towards the Sun"


And In Memory of Whitney Houston...


At My Fingertips...
Looking for practical tips on living a great life? http://www.marcandangel.com/ 
Embracing the feminine: http://www.rootsofshe.com/
Succulent Spiritual Junkies: http://tinybuddha.com/category/blog/

No comments: