Monday, February 20, 2012

Monday Musings: The Happiness Commandments

If you haven't had a chance to read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, you should request it from your local library, go buy it. or borrow it right now. Or, at least go an visit her blog over at http://www.happiness-project.com/happiness_project/. Gretchen Rubin is one of those women is just real. Real about life, love, work, health, finances, housework, you name it. Her book is fabulous. She embarks on a journey to see if she can improve her overall happiness in a year.

"THE HAPPINESS PROJECT is the memoir of the year I spent test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific studies, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier – happily, it was a #1 New York Times bestseller. -Gretchen Rubin"

Not only is Rubin a great writer, but the book gives folks practical applications on how to improve quality of life in simple ways-no backbending, standing on your head, drinking tonic advice here. :) Rubin uses 12 personal commandments in her happiness project to guide her through her year and her life. I have been playing around with developing some of my own happiness commandments and finally did it! These 13 commandments are my foundation and have been for quite some time. I have drawn on them from time to time, but have never compiled them in the same place. 

The process to generate my happiness commandments was simple and fast, yet effective and powerful. I first thought about advice I would give to those embarking on their own journey of happiness as well as mantras I live by. Also, using key word phrases helped. This was a beneficial process to me and I thought I would share them with the world. 

Jen’s Happiness Commandments:
1.               Follow My Bliss.
2.               Take the Time to Reflect.
3.               Nature is My Church.
4.               I am responsible for my own happiness.
5.               Speak Up & Ask for what I need.
6.               Say no.
7.               Be kind, Be Generous.
8.               Simplify.
9.               Make the time for what matters.
10.         Do what I resist the most.
11.         Nurture the Temple (Body)
12.         Open My Heart.
13.         Take the necessary action.

No comments: