Wednesday, June 20, 2012

the yoga of life

I can happily say I am back on my yoga mat again. I took a break for a bit and it really sent me into batsh*t crazyville. Ha! Anyway, being back on the mat brings so many things forward for me physically, emotionally, spiritually, and soulfully. The yoga mat has always been my refuge from a very loud inner brain. Those of you who know me personally know that yoga literally saved my life. I have processed every emotion that comes to mind on my mat at some point. As I get older, I am way more reflective with my practice constantly being curious as to what is going on. The magical thing about yoga for me is my brain and my body and my breath become a dynasty trifecta of sorts, just doing their own thing. The only thing I can somewhat relate it to is someone who builds cars. You reach that sweet spot in your work where everything just clicks and the engine turns on, the fluid is flowing, the brakes are in sync, and the speakers are turning out beautiful tunes.

Every now and then I have these moments where I want to capture the lessons of where yoga has bridged into my life. For example, I am dealing with a nasty bone spur and a case of plantar faschitis in my left foot currently. It friggin' hurts, especially when I flow through my warrior postures, down into chatarunga, into up dog, and finishing in down dog. I wanna scream. I wanna quit. I wanna roll up my mat and grab a slurpee. But I stay, slowly stretching and resting and breathing through it. I don't want to run anymore like I used to. When I was in college, I would push through without the slightest bit of acknowledgement of the pain, whether it was physical or emotional. Now, I can bear witness to what is and what isn't without the judgment. Evolved? Yes, please.

In yoga, poses are meant to counteract one another. You will notice in postures that there is a contraction and an extension at the same time. For instance, downward dog. Your extending up through the hips, down through the heels but your contracting your shoulder blades just a touch to gain the extension. These are sweet spots. And the extension and contraction concept can be related right back to our relationships. We extend ourselves to love, open our hearts, operate out of a place of compassion, yet one small little blip, upset, argument can cause us to contract, hide, tense up. There is a balancing of preserving vulnerability and being completely & utterly open.

I am excited and pleased to be back on the mat again yet I am constantly humbled when I lean into Half-Pigeon pose and feel the burning sensation travel through my hips. I do my best to live my life as a yogini in a modern, ever changing world. Constantly pursuing self-study and bearing witness to the lessons every day brings.

No comments: