Tuesday, July 3, 2012

refilling our well


The more and more I am immersed into the Blogosphere, I read posts by amazing writers who are highly spiritually evolved writing about the concept of "filling the well."

I was first introduced to this concept way back in high school when I picked up a book at the Auburn Public Library, a library I basically grew up in. The book was "Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home," by Sue Bender. What I remember most about this book is that it was my first "real" read about a woman bringing spirituality back into her everyday life. It was profound in a way that made sense to me, growing up in a small town in Maine, absorbing these simple lessons of spirituality aside from my Catholic upbringing. Since reading that book many years ago, I have continually been a spiritual text junkie. I will read anything and everything having to do with spiritual development and the like if it comes my way. This is one of my favorite hobbies and an activity that "fills my well," or in simpler terms, renews me and brings me joy from the inside out.

Refilling our wells has become such a vital form of self-renewal for those living on the planet. The demands continue to come at us, hard and fast and it feels as though we can hardly catch a breath sometimes. More and more, we are pushed into growth & panic zones, rarely finding solace in our comfort zones. We have deadlines, responsibilities, duties; some written, some unwritten. What's a human to do?

The Man posted this amazing quite by Pema Chodron on my Facebook page last week after a conversation we were having about "taking care of ourselves." It becomes a heated topic in our household because we are the types that push and push and give and give and leave very little for ourselves when it comes to the end of the day.

The quote...
"I’ve known many people who have spent years exercising daily, getting massages, doing yoga, faithfully following one food or vitamin regimen after another, pursuing spiritual teachers and different styles of meditation, all in the name of taking care of themselves. Then something bad happens to them and all those years don’t seem to have added up to the inner strength and kindness for themselves that they need to relate with what’s happening. And they don’t add up to being able to help other people or the environment.

When taking care of ourselves is all about me, it never gets at the unshakable tenderness and confidence that we’ll need when everything falls apart. When we start to develop maitri for ourselves, unconditional acceptance of ourselves, then we’re really taking care of ourselves in a way that pays off. We feel more at home with our own bodies and minds and more at home in the world. As our kindness for ourselves grows, so does our kindness for other people."
(Taking The Leap)


I absolutely love this because it is beyond just applicable, it is a practice to be lived day in and day out. I looked at this quote and thought to myself, "I can do this. I can practice unconditional acceptance the best I can for as along as I can," knowing it's not going to be perfect everyday.

Of course, this all aligns with Living Our Bliss. It is a practice and nothing else. There is no destination, only now. Enjoy and love yourself every minute, no matter what is pushing you.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I read Everday Sacred for the first time a couple of years ago and just loved it too. I think I will reread it again soon because there is probably something new to discover each time you read it.I love finding books that "fill the well"
Jenni