Friday, October 26, 2012

on losing a best friend

The past week has been full of grieving. Grieving a loss that arrived this morning. 
Ginger, our lovely, unconditionally loving, amazing fur ball, was put down to sleep. She has been struggling with liver disease for two months and has been an absolute trooper. I know when I left this morning, I was saying goodbye for good. It broke my heart yet it was important for me to keep in mind that her quality of life was truly diminishing fast. I could see it in her eyes that she was almost about to cry. 

Ginger on my yoga mat, one of her favorite activities. 
Loss is something we all experience and it is important to recognize that we all deal with it in our own way. 
I will say that in my experiences, especially those in the last year or so, I have been more conscious about gratitude and expressing my fondness of the memories. Sharing the memories makes the loss a little bit more bearable. Don't get me wrong, the losses will stay with us for awhile, little things will bring us to tears, but revel in joyous memories. That makes living our bliss just a little bit easier. 

Yesterday on my way home from my conference in Tacoma, 'Angel,' by Sarah MacLachlan. It brings tears to my eyes. In honor of my furry best friend, I dedicate this to her.

No comments: