Sunday, January 20, 2013

banked

As we move into the New Year and all it brings, we are also still in the space of deep reflection, hibernation, colder days, and even though it is getting better, daylight is sparse. Winter brings up lots of emotions for us as human beings. We can sometimes struggle with the melancholy, lack of sun, and the tendency to be more indoors and sedentary. This all sums up to being a little bit more stressed. We have grandiose thoughts and plans of amazing new years resolutions, goals, and intention yet we continue to balance work and social lives all while trying to remain sane.

For me, my yoga is my force. It is the one thing that keeps me stable, sane, and brewing with energy. For the past month, I have integrated a daily yoga practice and as mentioned in previous posts, it is the juiciest endeavor. Yoga has been a part of my life since taking my first class at age 16 and then really delving into it in college where i found both Iyengar and Vinyasa practices the remedy for all things related to my health. My practice has evolved to a point of having a steady home practice and taking classes at studios on the weekends.

A few months back after returning regularly to my practice, The Man and I were talking about how much I just love the feeling I get after yoga. He proceeded to enlighten me with his theory about my practice and it has stuck with me to this day. He said, "Jen, think of your yoga time like a little deposit into your self-care bank. Every time you do it, it builds up a little bit more. The more you do it when you can, you can tap into the benefits on those days/weeks you can't unroll your mat." Wow. Big stuff. Makes sense.

Since that enlightening conversation, I have been thinking of all of my self-care habits and nurturing rituals like deposits going into the bank. They build up an amazing result: love, joy, balance, peace. I am so grateful for my yoga practice and what it brings me. I embody a sense of strength and power and tap into whatever THAT is which is bigger than me.

Find your practice, whatever it may be: running, music, writing, dance, teaching, and continue to make those deposits. Get banked on the fact that you are in control of your own destiny. 

No comments: