Thursday, March 20, 2014

softness

I am wrapping up a five day visit in Washington D.C. at a conference for the economic development grant I am part of. It is my first time in Washington D.C. and it has been an intense and wonderful visit. Conferences are great in the fact that although they ask a lot of you in terms of extroverted energy, capacity for learning, being able to juggle sessions and workshops as well as squeeze in work time to check e-mail and handle fires back at the office, they provide so much inspiration, collaboration, and energy to go back to the ground floor and do the work you were put on this earth to do.

On top of eating amazing food, sharing best practices, starting mornings with heels and hot coffee, and guzzling the H20 while madly scribbling away in my moleskine, I have had time to see some sights. My first night, I took an epic five mile walk and saw the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, WWII Memorial, the FBI Building, etc. It was beautiful, big, massive...it left an impact on me.

Then today, I headed out to Arlington and well, I lost it. It hit me so hard from head to toe. I crumbled when I got back to my room. There was a heaviness, a sadness that flooded every cell of my being. It was beyond emotional, there was a humbling, a realization that there is so much more than is bigger than me...I was in the company of heroes.

I grabbed my purse and walked. I went to the subway and hopped on the metro and went to a bookstore/cafe in Dupont Circle. I browsed while my heart still felt as though it was bursting through my chest. And then it happened...I felt a softness. I let myself feel what I was feeling. I melted into the compassion, the honor, the gratitude.

Softness happens. It's there. Just stop, be in touch, and let it come. Your heart will melt.

No comments: