Monday, April 6, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings-Day 1: Tradition

It's the end of yet another Monday. We went out to dinner in Ballard and I ate too much delicious Mexican food and drank just enough Sangria to give me that "Oh yeah! It's warming up outside and I need a yummy drink to go with that sunshine!" feeling. After coconut fried ice cream to top everything off, we came home. I kicked off my Danskos and quickly stripped down to get on my purple, wide legged OM pants that I bought at a small shop in India. I slumped down on the couch and started scrolling through the infamous Instagram...browse, browse, browse...and then something caught my eye. #100daysofmaking.

The premise: for 100 days (April 6th-July 14th), you take the same action of making something for 100 days in a row. It can be writing, painting, dancing in public, planting something, singing a song, sketching on a post-it-note. Whatever really. Well, of course, I want to jump in. What better way to boost my own writing? And get some structure into my life around the craft of writing? Ahhhh yes! Do it for 100 days in a row. No expectations except just. do. it. 

Check out the project here: https://thegreatdiscontent.com/interview/elle-luna-100-day-project
My Project Hashtag #100daysofjensmusings
Find me on Instagram @jenchantrill
Blog: http://jen-livingbliss.blogspot.com/

Day 1: Traditions
Yesterday was Easter. It's a bit of a funny holiday when you don't go to church or have kids. I mean, for us, it was just like any other Sunday. We slept in a little, I got up and did my thing of my lemon water and quiet time and then we traveled north to Maltby, Washington. For breakfast and garden shopping. Our new Easter tradition.

On Saturday, we were running some errands and I turned to The Man and said, "I want us to start an Easter tradition," which I think took him by surprise. I am pretty much the farthest thing from traditional as they come. He said, "Oh yeah? Like what?"

"Well, what about going to Flower World up in Maltby? You can spend that gift card from Christmas for some new starts for the garden?"

He said, "Yeah, sounds good. And we can go to the Maltby Cafe for their huge cinnamon rolls," which of course, made me squeal with delight.

So we went. It was so fun. The cinnamon rolls were as big as my head and the coffee tasted delicious. We laughed and ate and went to the garden center and then went to another hardware store for some more gardening goods. It was perfect. And the best thing about it was that I felt like we created our own tradition.On our way back home, I was reflecting on this whole idea of traditions and why it came up for me and know that this much is true.

Traditions ground me. Growing up, there were things that my family did that were just super sweet and stayed with me for most of my life. Sunday brunches after church (or at least donuts), staying in PJ's all day on Christmas day, tomato soup and grilled cheese on snow days. All of those things gave me a sense of order in a weird way and I looked forward to those things. Small yet special.

Traditions usually involve people. Usually the traditions I had in my life involved some kind of coming together. People I loved showed up for something and shared in a common experience. This meant a lot to me and I equate traditions with having my tribe support me and surround me.

Traditions have an intrinsic quality. It's not so much about the material thing or final result, but it gives a sense of internal goodness, that juiciness that can't be matched. Just the sense that all is well in the world.

Traditions allow for creativity. Take the tomato soup and grilled cheese example. It's just something I remember and not everyone has snow days growing up. It was creative and that means way more than a structured, huge celebration or event. Small little things can take on a life of their own and the more outside the box they are the better.

So, with all of that said, despite the fact that we don't have kids or have a huge interest in religious traditions, The Man and I have started creating our own micro-traditions that I look forward to cultivating for years to come. And the best part about all of it? We get to decide. 

No comments: