Friday, April 17, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 12: If You Do Anything...

We just got back from a lovely dinner with friends. It was so great to be around a table, sharing delicious food and wine, laughing, eating, and being totally honest about life, love, and work. On the way home I was thinking about what I should write about tonight and what became really present to me was the whole idea of making time for people. If I had to give one piece of advice to my younger self, it would be to always make time for the people you love. Friends, family, giving back, whatever, but make the time. Go to the dinner's, the going away parties, the funeral, the wedding, the baby shower, the retirement party, the company event (if you love your job and the people you work with). Make time for the people because that is what makes life so much richer.

In college, when I was going through my dark soul time, I shut a lot of people out of my life. I was in so much personal pain that I couldn't find it in me to show up for other parts of my life, including special events, people, and celebrations. It was hard. I was away from home, and usually, most people create their own tribe when there isn't family present. I had a tough time with that in my college years.

Tonight, as I sat at the dinner table, sipping good wine, laughing my butt off, and gobbling down salmon and flourless chocolate cake, I became so in tune with a deep feeling of gratitude and love. I looked across the table and saw The Man, laughing and eating with our friends, our tribe, our supporters, people we so totally love. The food didn't fill us up, it was the love we felt from everyone there.

If you do anything, make time for people. The people you love and the people who matter. Put aside the phone, the to do list, the errands, the chores and make it happen. You won't ever regret it. Ever.

No comments: