Tuesday, April 21, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 16: Marriage & Ice Cream

One of the biggest things I was looking forward to when I got engaged, besides the fact that I was getting to spend the rest of my life with my best friend, was the cake tastings. I really love cake. I really love wedding cake. I was so excited about the fact of going and tasting all the flavors, basically for free, even though we all know it's not really for free.

So The Man and I went to our first cake tasting. Super excited, ready to taste. We gad our tasting grid and pens and dove in. Eating lots of cake. We would lift the tiny sample pieces up to our lips, anticipating amazingness to be unleashed in our mouths and then we would glance at each other, that look of hopefulness as we chewed and swallowed, and then the truth was released. We were let down. Piece after piece. Totally and completely let down. I was starting to fall out of love with cake. I didn't even know that would be a possibility. We left feeling defeated. A little unnerved. What the heck were we going to do?

Back to the drawing board.

Rewind 5.5 years ago. I was ending a relationship on a very traumatic note. The Man was there for me through all of it. The exact night when everything hit the fan, The Man drove through an Arby's and ordered me a milkshake. "Here, drink this. It will reset you and make you feel better," he said. What's in a milkshake? Ice cream. I have always loved ice cream. I was the kid in Maine that when it was 10 degrees outside, you might find me with a dish of vanilla in hand. I was first in line when the Dairy Joy opened up down the street in the spring. Gelato? Yes, please! Fro-yo? Yes, please! Anything cold and delicious? Yes please! A pint of B&J in any obscene flavor? Sign me up!

From then on, ice cream has been our thing. On the good days, the bad days. The days when my PMS is bad, the days when we lose our job or work is really shitty, the days when we just feel the world is against us, the birthdays and anniversaries, the date nights, all of it. Ice cream is our thing. I know, I know, you are probably reading this and thinking, "Nice...using food to stuff the emotions," but it's so not the case. It's a moment we can share together for five minutes and the world is right. By the way, we eat it with forks. Sometimes we eat in bed. Sometimes we go get it in our pajamas.

So, taking all of this into consideration, we have decided to have ice cream at our wedding instead. It is so representative of who we are as a couple. Ice cream is grounding and it makes you feel totally unleashed at the same time. It brings you back to summer nights at the ice cream shop down the street. Allows the inner child to come out and play. Who doesn't love it?

So there you have it. The universe conspired for ice cream and I am so happy about it. As we step into our marriage, the lesson is simple: things are sometimes different in your head. Roll with it. More times than not, there is something completely awesome waiting and maybe it's a pint of Red Velvet or Lemon Bar ice cream...

No comments: