Saturday, April 11, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 6: Faith, Part 1

Why am I writing about faith? I'm not too sure, although what I do know is that more and more, I am examining my own faith and how it shows up in my life.

A couple weeks ago, I had to mail off some packages, so I got everything prepared the night before, taped up the envelopes, and had everything sitting by the door in the morning. On my way out of my house the next morning, I took the bag of packages that were filled with cards and treats for the people in my life and I drove to the post office in my neighborhood. I parked the car, crossed the street, opened the door, and waiting in line patiently. When it was my turn, I stepped up to the counter, dumped everything out of the bag and said, "I would like to mail these the cheapest way possible. No insurance, no confirmed delivery."

The postal worker took everything, weighed it, entered the various zip codes - Chicago, Maine, Texas, North Carolina. She told me the total, I swiped my debit card. She handed me my receipt, and it was done. I crossed the street, got back in my car, checked traffic on my phone, and drive to work.
Another thing I could cross off the list.

I then started to think. I started to think about all the things that happened that morning that I never gave a second thought too. Then I started to think about all the things that happen in my own life that I just trust will happen without a whole lot of effort and I surrender to that. Happily. That's when I landed on Faith.

I carry so much faith in daily life and mostly it resides in the little things and when I really sit with it, I realize that the element of magic is so present and available. All. The. Time. 

I have faith that...
... I will wake up in the morning...
...when I send letters & packages at the post office, they will arrive at the doorstep of my loved ones...
...that my car will start when I turn the key in the morning
...that there will be electricity and running water...
...that cars will stop for you as you cross the road...
...that the coffee will be hot and that the plane will land...

According to Wikipedia, Faith is defined as belief, confidence or trust in a person, object, religion, idea or view despite the absence of proof. I don't know how much this definition resonates with my personally, and yet, I know that my world has been rocked in moments of trusting something to happen and then it doesn't. How does one maintain faith in the light of those things? 

I will dive into this question in part 2 of this post tomorrow. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you define faith? Isn't what you are talking about the same as trust? How is faith different from trust? Hope and trust, it can very easily be argued, are not the same as faith.
Do you faith that your best friend will follow through with a commitment, or do you hope/trust that they will?
Check out the following video for a philosophical discussion about faith versus other terms.
https://youtu.be/ewjhRT-RQGQ