Wednesday, May 6, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 31: A Letter To Young Lovers

Dear Young Lovers,
I see you everywhere. On my way to work, while I am driving and listening to NPR, while I push my cart around at the grocery store or am putting gas in my car, or as I return my library books in the little metal deposit box on the sidewalk. You make me smile. Your innocence combined with the passion you have for each other makes me a little jealous. I chuckle internally and think back to when I was young, unabashed in my passion for my heartthrob at the time. You have no sense of time and probably sleep very little. There is no such thing as a personal space bubble for you. Enjoy that. It's fresh and young and the world needs more of that openheartedness.


To be young and in love is like combining the two best things in the world: cookies and milk, ice cream and root beer, pizza and cold microbrews. I see you engrossed in the present moment. Don't forget how the present moment feels.

Do I tell you that the passion morphs into something different? That it goes deeper than physical embrace? Do I tell you that other aspects of life start to creep in, like jobs, money, family, and stuff, and that you will have to schedule intentional time to be together? Do I tell you that one of you may experience a life event, like an illness or job loss, and that it tests every part of yourself and your relationship? Do I tell you that you will crave independence and want time alone and at the same time, you miss the hell out of your partner and can't wait to get home from work to kiss them and be in their arms? Do I tell you that a few days may go by without getting naked? Do I tell you that you will fight and exchange words that you may feel yucky about the next day? Do I tell you that success looks like getting dinner on the table and sitting together one out of seven days may be the highlight of the week because you are on a work deadline? Do I tell you that some nights you just want to read your book in your yoga pants and go to bed and not talk to your partner because you're just tired and need time to decompress? Do I tell you that you will be scared shitless when they ask you to spend the rest of your life with you? Do I tell you that marriage is not about a wedding at all?

I have decided I won't tell you any of these things. You know why? Nobody told me and if they did, I would have laughed in their face.

Dear Young Lovers,
Love. Keep loving. Love hard. Love like there is no tomorrow.

Yours Truly,
Jen

1 comment:

Rosaria said...

I love this post!