Thursday, May 7, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 32: Savor the Pause

Thursday is one of my favorite days. I love it because the office has some buzz, we usually all eat together, outside if it's sunny, and we have our staff meetings, which for the past couple weeks, has involved some type of yummy treat for all kinds of good stuff happening and the celebrating of success. Today, at the beginning of our meeting, I loved what our director said. "Let's take a moment and pause. Reflect on the last 11 months and think about where we have come from."

I melted. 

I melted in so many ways because so many things came to mind. I thought back on the last year and all the good things that have happened not only at work, but in my own life. I feel like I have found my groove, claimed my sense of place in Seattle, found my tribe to run with, and am flooded with deep contentment and bliss, knowing there are still those days that you'd rather have a re-do. 

When I was working in the corporate development and team building industry, I remember my first introduction to the Stimulus--> Response theory. My dear friend and mentor introduced it at an event we were running and I fell in love with the concept. The whole idea is that we live our lives in "stimulus-response," mode most of our days and our lives. What if, the theory suggests, we incorporate a "pause" between stimulus-response? What would that looks like? 

The pause helps us get grounded. It helps us respond versus react. It helps us think critically and creatively. It helps us be thoughtful and mindful. It helps us stay present and in the moment without going down the infamous rabbit hole. 

On my way home from work, I was thinking more and more about how I could integrate more pause into my life. To be honest with you, I like quick, fast, easy, and accessible ways to implement practices. There are so many opportunities for pause in my own life and I have been passing them up.

> Upon waking, as my feet hit the carpe
> After brushing my teeth and putting my toothbrush back in the medicine cabinet
> Arriving at work and turning my car off
> Sitting down at my computer desk after lunch
> Pulling into the driveway after coming home
> Pouring the hot water for my evening tea
> Turning the light off after I finish reading at night

As you can see, all so simple. The pause is the juice or the juice is in the pause...whatever it is, the pause serves us and our lives. Take a moment. Take a few moments. Pause. Savor. Deep breath. Then proceed. 

No comments: