Sunday, May 10, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 35: To the Mamas

I saw a post on Facebook yesterday that said, "We are all mothers." 

I wholeheartedly believe this to be true. Whether we have biological children or not, we are all bringing something or someone into being. We take care and nurture, take a stand for what is possible, make things work, make things easy, and try to live and love with a more open, kind, and compassionate heart. Isn't that what mothers are out to do? We birth things with our creativity and infuse life into the world. We show up 1000% for what we are passionate about and we never stop showing up for the people we love. 

To say I am grateful for my mom is an understatement. I am so beyond blessed to have her in my life...the good parts, the messy parts, and the parts that want to make me scream. We have had our trials and tribulations as a mother-daughter pair, and at the end of the day, I know I can call on her any hour of the day or night. When I got engaged, there was no doubt in my mind that she would be my matron of honor. Hands down. No argument. Nothing was up for discussion. 

Up until now, I have always heard that your relationship with your own mother transforms when you get married. Like anything, you can hear it a bunch, but to know something at its core is completely different. Since getting engaged and diving headfirst into planning what is shaping up to be a fabulous party, I have been the most vulnerable with my mom these past few months than I have my entire life. She has seen me cry on Skype, heard me breakdown on the phone, tell her my fears and my joys, what I love most about the man I am marrying and what drives me crazy. She has been there every step of the way. She knows more about me than anybody on the planet.

I look back on my childhood and because my dad traveled a lot for work, I think about all the ways my mom made things work for my brother and me. The carpooling, the dinners on the table, the helping us with our homework, laying down the law when it came to tv and computer time, the screaming fights when I was in my teenage years, helping me learn to drive, all of it. Her selflessness and commitment to raising us is beyond something that be thanked or acknowledged. I hold deep love for her, the deepest kind. 

I may not ever  know what it would be like to have a child, but if I can be half the mother to my children that she is to me, I know they will be so lucky.

Thank you mom and thank you to all the mamas. You bring so much light into the world. 

1 comment:

Rosaria said...

It is one thing technology has not been able to do...measure a mother's love for her children. You make it easy to mother and I am blessed to have you and your brother. Bring on your spouse, there's plenty of love in the well...and if you should ever have your own children, there will be love to endless depths.
I love you!