Friday, June 19, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 75: Gridlock

Friday afternoon traffic in Seattle is a beast. Just recently, I started working from home, so I don't have to deal with it as much anymore. Today though. I was traveling north after an appointment and I looked over at the southbound traffic on I-5 and it was complete gridlock. Now, I have been in that, believe me. Some mornings are brutal, brutal, b-r-u-t-a-l. But for the most part my schedule is designed in such a way where I don't have many days of being stuck in the gridlock.

So, back to this afternoon.

I was driving home from my appointment and looked over and saw this massive lock up of cars. As I gracefully drove north to the next exit, I was thinking about what getting stuck feels like. In our lives. Since I got home, I have been mulling on this whole idea of feeling stuck and how it impacts so negatively and can take us down, just like a Friday afternoon commute, when it's hot, and you are just trying to get home for the weekend.

There are so many reasons why we get stuck. Lack of passion, lack of motivation, lack of energy. Sometimes we are just done. The biggest lesson I have learned, especially from sitting in horrible traffic is impermanence. This too shall pass. It's the golden ticket. You will get through it. There is an end to this. Whatever it is. That's the beautiful thing about impermanence. Things just have a flow to them-a beginning and an end. That's it. It's all of life. It's a little stoic, but I promise you that it's one of my most cherished lessons from my spiritual practice. It's all here but only for a fleeting moment.

So the next time you are deep in your own life gridlock or backed up in some nasty commuter traffic, hold your hand on your heart and whisper or yell to yourself, "This is all going to pass. All of it will be over. It's all impermanent!" You may think you sound a little crazy, but it helps. It really does.

Enjoy the weekend and cherish all the moments- the good, the bad, the ugly. They are all only here for a bit, just like ourselves, and they must be held as though they are the most precious things in the world.

No comments: