Monday, June 22, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 78: Hold On...It's Going To Be a Bumpy Ride

If you are anything like me, I have my little route, as we all do in our motor vehicles. We zip, zip, zip by...anxiously awaiting the moment when we can arrive, put the key into the lock, turn, and oila! We arrive to our little safe havens, unscathed, completely intact, in one piece. Yay! We're home! We can strip down, get into comfy clothes, pour a glass of wine, walk barefoot and let our toes wiggle. We can shuffle through our mail and choose whether or not to deal with it. We can choose whether or not we dig out pots and pans and start dinner or if we order in or head out on the town. We have choice.

The other day, I was on my way home from teaching yoga. I stopped at the red light and immediately a ladybug landed on my windshield. For those who know me, you know how much I love ladybugs and dragonflies. Two of my favorite bug species. So, little Ms. Ladybug landed on my window. I gasped. "Oh no!" You have to fly away before I turn up the street because the street I am turning requires high speeds or else you get run over. Fly away little one, fly away! Or...hold on for dear life!"

A long time ago, I think when I was in the 3rd grade, I was reading a chapter book and a quote from that book, which can be found on lots of motivational life posters, jumped out: Sometimes you are the windshield, and sometimes you are the bug. It's a tough one to swallow, but ain't it the truth.

Some days, we are the bug, holding on for dear life. Life is stinkin' hard. Let's just be real here people. It's hard enough without wedding planning, relationships, family dynamics, money, jobs, technology upgrades, clutter, bills, endless mountains of laundry and pages and pages of to do lists (all first world problems). It's hard enough to go out into the world, each and every day, seeing the pain and the joy, the sadness and the bliss. It's all a lot to handle.

We do the best we can, one day at a time. Even an hour at a time. Managing caregiving, managing people at work, managing the emotions of a partner, spouse, or child. Managing the feeling that we have to get it all done or getting it all done will land us in some special, superpower like level of life or something, or winning a game of Candyland.

Yet, despite all of this, all the emotions, the pressures, internal and external, we continue to hold on. Why? Because we are here to experience what it's like to be human. To be capable of love and thought and innovation and contribution and difference-making. To be teaching others, laughing with others, hugging and kissing our partners, experiencing the heart flutter after 8 years or 80 years of loving someone. We show up to love. That's why we hold on.

So I bow to you Ms. Ladybug. Hold on...it's going to be a bumpy but oh so amazing ride.

No comments: