Thursday, July 16, 2015

#100daysofjensmusings- Day 100! Lessons, Takeaways, and Gratitude...


Here we are. The last post of my project. 100 days of writing & posting, minus a few remote writing sessions in the wilderness. It's been such a trip...many late nights with the laptop in bed (yes, in the beginning I swore I wouldn't write in bed, but that promise was broken 45 days in), nights that I had no desire to write but I did, and weekend afternoons where my thoughts and hands couldn't stop. I look back on the goals of the project and they were twofold:

1. Practice a craft that has been a staple in my life for as long as I can remember.
2. Put myself out there and be vulnerable, no matter what.

So, as I hit day 100, it's a bit anticlimactic. I am here writing a late night post trying to come down from all the energy that was created at my New Moon circle tonight around a firepit, and I am trying to solidify and streamline my thoughts about what this project has taught me and what I really got from it. As an educator, I find it so important to come full circle. Experience, reflection, transformation and application. So, without censorship, here is my brain dump of my lessons, my learnings and takeaways from my 100 day project, "100 Days of Jen's Musings."

  • Writing is hard work. It's a physical practice. Natalie Goldberg articulates this in her books. It's a full body practice and you have to be in your body to write. My body practices (yoga, working out, walking, gardening), help me be a better writer.
  • Things get worse before they get better...with content, transition, with honing a craft. 
  • Showing up is 80% of it. As long as I made my way to my laptop, the post would come. It was getting to my seat that was challenging. Meditators out there, sound familiar?
  • If it's important to you, that's all that matters. I don't really care what people think of my posts. I don't write for people, I write for myself. 
  • Setting a goal and creating an accountability structure works for me, not everybody. Challenges, 100 day projects, personal training...all those things work for me and provide a road map to my feeling successful but not everybody likes those systems. To each their own.
  • Be honest & authentic.
  • I can talk about writing, I can read about it, I can research it, but that doesn't make me a writer...writing makes me a writer. 
  • My writing became a spiritual practice and will continue to be one.
  • I don't ever know what I am going to write about until I sit down and breathe my three breaths. It provides the gap and the transition to arrive and then the faucets turn on.
  • Bits and pieces are sometimes better than the whole. Some of my shorter posts are posts I am most proud of. More does not always equal better.
  • If I value something, I make the time for it. No matter what.
  • When I don't write, I become agitated. Same for yoga, breathing, meditation, drinking water, and sleeping enough.
  • We all have a story.
  • Find the things that bring you joy and go do more of those things. Writing brings me so much joy and whether or not it's out in the cloud, the most important thing for me is that I get joy out of doing it.
  • My experiences are my truth and those are valuable containers to pull from. 
  • The bones and the muscles are more important than then clipped fingernails. I don't get caught up on grammar and structure and perfect spelling. The story and content is where I spend my time and that works for me. 
  • If you truly love something, care for it and nurture it. 
So that is a handful of my takeaways from this project. I will be continuing my writing here on my blog and also taking some time off in August for my "August Break," and will be spending more time with my journal for reflection before I get married.

Thank you for all the support...you all know who you are. I want to especially thank The Man who has been so supportive every day of this project. He reads my stuff and stands behind me as I make the time for this part of my life. It means so damn much to me.

Deep gratitude and hats off to the artists, the writers, the snowflake maker, and the rest of us who are creating, showing up, and being vulnerable in our work.

Blessings,
Jen

No comments: