Saturday, January 9, 2016

What I Read in 2015: The Book List


In January of 2015, I set out to read 52 books. Essentially, a book a week. Well, that was extremely ambitious, especially with wedding planning and going back to school in the fall.

In setting a reading goal, I found out that...

  • It helps me shoot for something and provides a gentle nudge. Goals and metrics motivate me. I like having a metric to shoot for, a checklist to check off, or a project deadline on the calendar. It keeps me honest and aligned. 
  • Reading is a huge part of my life. It ties in with life long learning and the naturally introverted part of myself. 
  • I have transitioned to using the library more and don't buy books very much, simply because of space and my new relationship to stuff. If I do buy, I try to shop local, half price and used books versus new. 
I will say, I didn't reach my goal in 2015, BUT I did read some pretty great stuff. 


Memoir
  • Long Quiet Highway-Natalie Goldberg
  • Writing Down the Bones- Natalie Goldberg
  • Carry On Warrior: Thoughts On Living Life Unarmed-Glennon Melton
  • My Organic Life-Nora Poullion
  • God Is Not Here:A Soldier's Struggle with Torture, Trauma, and the Moral Injuries of War-Lieutenant Colonel Bill Russell Edmonds
  • Struck by Genius- Jason Padgett
Living & Personal Development
  • Thrive-Arianna Huffington
  • Overwhelmed: Work, Love, and Play when Nobody Has the Time-Brigid Schulte
  • Better than Before-Gretchen Rubin
  • 5 Love Languages-Gary Chapman
  • Essentialism-Greg McKeown
  • Life Changing Art of Tidying Up-Marie Kondo
  • Money Can Buy Happiness and It's Cheap-Tammy Strobel
  • Rising Strong-Brene Brown
  • Big Magic-Elizabeth Gilbert 
  • The Humor Code: A Global Search for What Makes Things Funny- Peter McGraw and Joel Warner
Spiritual Living
  • Think on These Things-J. Krishnamurti
  • Being with Dying-Joan Halifax
  • Making Space: Creating a Home Meditation Practice-Tich Nhat Hanh
  • Mindful Work-David Gelles
  • Most Intimate: A Zen Approach to Life's Challenges-Roshi Pat Enkyo O'Hara
  •  Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change-Pema Chodron
Fiction

  • The Signature of All Things-Elizabeth Gilbert
I am always on the lookout for reading recommendations and have a running list in Evernote of Books to Read. Would love to hear what you are reading!

No comments: