Friday, April 28, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 25- I stopped using the word busy

Image result for pig penI used to be one of those people who, when asked how I was doing, would automatically vomit the words, "I'm okay. Really busy." Just typing it makes me want to barf. It's boooooorrrriiiiinnnngggg. It's completely lame actually. No substance in that response. It's lifeless.

So I stopped using the word and I also stopped asking people how they were doing. Now, don't think for a minute that I am a total b*tch and am not interested in my people. I am most certainly interested. So I started asking people what is new and exciting in their world. And you know what? I never get the busy answer any more.

I feel it's imperative we stop getting caught in this paradigm. Busy equals frenetic, chaotic, out of control, soul sucking. We. Must. Stop. The. Cycle. We can do it through our language.

Our words have power. Our language creates our reality. What we say, we honor. So, in essence, we have complete control over the pace of our lives. We don't have to succumb to the 'natural speed' of how everybody else is living.

I am amazed at how caught we all get, including myself. As soon as my pace picks up in my life, things start to break down. I tend to knock things over, bump into corners of tables, forget the route I drove, get frustrated with technology, and get real snarky with the people in my life. I stop being present. There's a cost to that and it's not worth it for me anymore.

No day is ever perfect and it's not about 'arriving at an enlightened place,' but rather, taking the sweeter, slower approach. It tastes better, it feels better, it syncs up with my heart better.

No comments: