Tuesday, April 4, 2017

#100daysofwriting:day 1- showing up

Image result for elle luna 100 day project

Two years ago, I did my first #100dayproject in which I write a blog post every day for 100 days. I did it mostly for the ass kicking I needed to write, to hone my craft, and practice. Writing has always felt like my yoga mat - a coming home of sorts. And so here I am today, two years later and diving in again because, well, I need another ass kicking. I have neglected my writing practice. Wait. Neglect is not the right word. My writing has been hibernating and awaiting patiently for me to come home again. It has kept house, managed itself in such a tidy way, and kept the soup warm and fire stoked. But now I am coming home. Showing up.

On Friday night, I went and saw the one and only Elizabeth Gilbert speak at the Moore Theater. To say it was inspiring would be cliche. What it really was for me was a true intervention. It was like my basketball coach in high school sitting me down at halftime and kindly saying, "Okay Jen. Get your head out of your ass and stop getting in your own way and just go out there and play for God's sake!" And so here I am. Showing up. Not really sure how all this is going to work/feel/be. But here's what I know to be true for me. I need structure and accountability for my showing up. It's how I get out of bed in the morning. It's what keeps my little ticker ticking. So here we go. In the words of my most favorite Pixar character Buzz Lightyear, "To infinity and beyond!"

No comments: