Saturday, May 6, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 33- my heart is calling for the outdoors

For the past nine months, I have been participating in a really inspiring and deeply nourishing leadership program though the Center for Courage & Renewal, a nonprofit that focuses on bringing the teachings and works of Parker Palmer to social impact leaders, teachers, and individuals looking to meld their vocation with their hearts, their spiritual selves, and the cycles of the seasons. I have been learning so much and diving deeper into the big questions around who I am, what my values are, and how my daily actions and choices align with my intentions. Part of the program requires each individual to be in a smaller leadership circle that meets monthly to talk through all of these questions. I am lucky to have three other women join me every month for this. Last night, we met and I had a pretty big Ah Ha moment in which I heard my heart call for the outdoors. 

Nature and being outside has always been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Swinging on my swing-set and playing in my sandbox and running around in the backyard were just part of daily life as a tiny person. I remember so many family hikes, weekend backpacking trips, and building snow forts on snow days. I remember riding my bike out to Hotel Road in Auburn, Maine and taking walks after dinner with my mom. Summers were filled with beach trips and trips to the lake, swimming and reading on my beach towel. I think I spent more time outside than inside growing up. 

Last night in circle I realized how being outdoors is ESSENTIAL to my heart, my soul, the places deep within that fuel my work and my zest for life. I get quite cranky without the air and realized in my sharing that I need to sprinkle in more of that time on a daily basis. So, more walks during the work week, continuing my garden time, and sitting in my chair in the morning on my deck with my tea to watch the birds. It has to be a daily practice and I want it to be. 

No comments: