Saturday, May 13, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 39 & 40- downshifting

I skipped writing yesterday and I almost wanted to skip again today. The past three days have been chock full of really fun adventures. I was also in two full days of all staff training on Undoing Institutional Racism. We also have a friend in town, and are celebrating a birthday and Mother's day as well. I made it a point to get to yoga this morning and also call my mom. Needless to say, it has been a full few days but all of it is so good. So juicy. It has all made my heart warm.

For the past couple months, my "life pace" has significantly downshifted. I have made it a point to not schedule myself back to back to back, running ragged and rushing. Part of my downshifting was forced, healing from injuries but it also was because I began to look closely at my life, my priorities, and what matters. For me, I have been pruning away the things that really don't matter. It was tough at first, but now I am super clear on what's a "yes," and what is a "no."

My body does feel tired, a little run down, but it's just information. I treat my body now like a barometer, letting it inform me of what I need to take on and what I need to let go of, when I need to rest, and when I can push a little longer.

Over the past couple days, I have been reflecting on what does matter in the current moment:
...spending quality time with the people I love, including my Seattle family, The Man, and my friends
...taking the time to connect with my family who lives far away, whether it's a text or a phone call
...taking advantage of rich experiences, like hearing my favorite author read from her latest book
...using public transit every now and then, and getting some long walks in
...ditching the dishes, pikes of laundry, and list of chores and choosing a 90 minute yoga class instead
...date night over surfing Facebook
...visiting friends who are going through tough times versus running endless errands
...time out in my garden, planting and digging in the dirt
...sitting and breathing

The ripple effects of downshifting are astonishing and I notice it more than ever when I am pushed into the "being busy" space. And I am constantly reminded that I have choice and that is the biggest thing that matters.

No comments: