Friday, May 26, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 53- lessons in turning 33 (part 3 of 11)

This post is part of my "33 Lessons on Turning 33" in which I will be sharing 33 gems, insights, and pieces of witty wisdom over 11 posts. 

Lesson #7: Getting Up Early is Better Than Staying Up Late. Maybe this lesson is potent because I have become an avid gardener, but either way, I enjoy the quiet of morning and have more energy in the morning than I do at night. I value my 8+ hours of shut-eye I get and when I wake up early, I have more opportunities to get the right things done, reflect, and breathe. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I would have laughed at this lesson, but now, I am owned my 10:30pm bed times and 6:30am rising and not just during the week, I do give myself Sundays as my no alarm day and sleep until I feel like getting up which does end up being about 7:45am, but I look at that as self-care. :)

Lesson #8: Giving stuff up every once in awhile is a powerful practice. Restraint is powerful and helps us develop the willpower muscle. For me, this includes giving up coffee/caffeine, social media, sugar, dairy, etc., every now and then (not all of these at once). I do this to remind myself that I have choice in my habits and my consumptive behaviors.

Lesson #9: Walking cent be more potent than anything else. I used to think that exercise had to be this "balls to the wall" exhaustive process. This probably stemmed from my days as an athlete. When I was diagnosed with Lyme disease, walking became the only exercise I could do. But soon after my diagnosis, I found joy in just moving my body a little bit and noticing the big changes that happened. I try to get out on a walk daily, although that doesn't happen, but it's an anchor practice in my life and I am so happy I found it.

No comments: