Sunday, May 28, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 54- lessons in turning 33 (part 4 of 11)

This post is part of my "33 Lessons on Turning 33" in which I will be sharing 33 gems, insights, and pieces of witty wisdom over 11 posts. 

Lesson #10: Spiritual practice isn't about getting anywhere or solving anything. I found the practice of yoga and meditation when I was 16 years old. I approached it for a different reason back then...more flexibility in my body, as I was an athlete and less nightmares at night. There has been an evolution of my practice and the realization that there is not some magical place we get to with our practices. Spiritual practice for me is about more ease, more grace, more connection with the world and myself from a compassionate, less gripping place. That's it. I have nothing to solve and nothing to fix. There's a lot of freedom in that for me.

Lesson #11: When you say yes, it should be a holy hell yes. I used to just say yes to everybody and everything. Every single opportunity that came my way felt like I had a deep obligation to say yes to it. When I was healing from Lyme, I had such limited energy reserves. I was forced to start saying no to commitments, invitations and requests. I took that lesson with me and it's one of the most valuable tools in my toolkit of self-care. Unless it's a holy hell yes, it's a no.

Lesson #12: Your house will never be in perfect shape to have people over. The Man and I live in a small space in Seattle city limits. Growing up, we both had larger houses and our parents loved to entertain and still do. We went through a phase where we just felt that our place was not able to accommodate people coming over and kept waiting and waiting for it to be in the best, most perfect shape. Not any more. Life is to short to delay spending time with the people you love. There will always be projects and a to do list, but I don't wait for things to be in perfect conditions anymore.

No comments: