Monday, May 29, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 55- lessons in turning 33 (part 5 of 11)

This post is part of my "33 Lessons on Turning 33" in which I will be sharing 33 gems, insights, and pieces of witty wisdom over 11 posts. 

Lesson #13: Get choosy...especially when it comes to coffee, wine, chocolate, and cheese. Quality over quantity. High quality treats last longer and it takes less of them to get satiated. Sure, I had my college escapades of drinking two buck chuck and Hershey Kisses by the pound but what I realized is that the high quality goods pack a high punch, are a little more spendy, meaning I don't go through it as fast, and it's better for me in the long run.

Lesson #14: Having a wedding and getting married are two completely different things. There is way too much to write about here, so I will save most of it for a separate post, but getting married was one of the most deepening experiences I have ever had, both in terms of a relationship with myself and my relationship with my husband, my sweetie, my best friend. Our wedding was one of the most amazing days in my life, but it wasn't equitable to the marriage that we have and continue to build day to day. I am grateful for the lessons both the wedding taught me; gratitude, love, family, friendship, asking for what I want, being clear on my values...AND I am grateful for all the lessons my marriage continues to teach me; gratitude, love, family, friendship, asking for what I want, being clear on my values...oh wait...same lessons, different context. Yes...another post will be written about this.

Lesson #15: Don't stop using the library. Ever. I am an avid reader. Always have been, always will be. The library is my happy place. A magical world that has all of the words of the world packed onto the tiny shelves. Just waiting. Waiting for a hand. Waiting to be chosen. A library is like a big piece of the parasympathetic nervous system of a community. It's where people can go to breathe, rest, relax. Books and film are nourishing and we all must have them in our lives. Go and support your library. Often.

No comments: