Wednesday, May 31, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 57- lessons in turning 33 (part 7 of 11)

This post is part of my "33 Lessons on Turning 33" in which I will be sharing 33 gems, insights, and pieces of witty wisdom over 11 posts. 


Lesson #19: Work to live, don't live to work. Maybe this lesson came in my early twenties where I worked myself to the bone. I traveled a lot and didn't have a ton of time to develop my own life and identity. I burned out fast and in the end felt resentful. One of my mantras that I share super often is the philosophy that I work to live. This also aligns with the Buddhist Eightfold Path of having Right Livelihood. I am fortunate to have created a job that integrates all parts of my being; my creative side, the autonomous side, the acts of service side, and the compassion side. I also realize that boundaries around work allow me to enjoy my life; spending quality time with friends and family with peace of mind that everything is fine on the work front, always doing serious unplugging on the weekends (no work e-mail on my phone and not checking it outside of work hours), as well as building in time for rest, vacation, and relaxation.

Lesson #20: We must develop the ability to let go of things from our past. When I took the Landmark Forum, a seminar designed to live powerfully in the world, they shared an analogy with us about how we live our lives. Think of life like a filing cabinet. We continue to mis-file our past right up front with our present and future. All of those files keep reminding us of our past and don't allow us to live in the present or create a new future for ourselves. When we continue to operate with a bad filing system, we get resentful, frustrated, and we start to disengage from our life. We have to file the past where it belongs...in the past.

Lesson #21: Live by the Pareto Principle. Also known as the 80/20 rule, the Pareto Principle changed my life. The Pareto principle states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. Through this principle, I have transformed so many of my habits and how I live my life. I also believe in the 80/20 rule applying to exercise, eating, and sleeping habits. By doing our best 80% of the time, that can influence us greatly.


No comments: