Friday, June 16, 2017

#100daysofwriting: day 61- lessons in turning 33 (part 10 of 11)

This post is part of my "33 Lessons on Turning 33" in which I will be sharing 33 gems, insights, and pieces of witty wisdom over 11 posts. 

Lesson #28: Say grace...or gratitudes...or wishes. At our dinner table, we are big fans of saying what we're grateful for. We always start with gratitude, no matter what kind of day we had or what kind of commute we had to go through to get to the house. It always starts with gratitude. It cleans our insides, cleansing our palettes of our days and keeps us present to what's possible and good.

Lesson #29: There is nothing like a really good ol' hot shower. I am a fan of taking showers. It's how I start each and every morning (except for the weekends when I decide to dirtbag it up, or work in the garden first). A hot shower is one of my tried and true self-care strategies. It calms me down when I feel anxious, it washes away the dirt and stress and fatigue and uncertainty, and it puts me into mellow mode, where I am a lot more receptive and relaxed in the world.

Lesson #30: Technology is a good thing...most of the time. I am grateful for the technological advances the world has seen. It gives me the ability to stay deeply connected with my family and friends near and far. It allows me to share things that I find interesting. It connects me to knowledge, expanding my world view and opening my eyes. I also think technology teaches us about how staying present in this lifetime takes a lot of effort, and that is a good thing. It reminds us of the human condition of being highly distracted, unplugged, and disconnected. Technology can be a real teacher for us, if we are present and conscious.

No comments: